Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Youth Blogging

It appears that my Blog is my idea sharing space today. I don't know why, but I am always coming up with crazy ideas to do things different. I think it is because my mind leans heavily towards the science and engineering side. Its the creative side that I sometimes lack the necessary tools.

Anyways - I have found lately that I am not able to devote as much time as I want to things outside of my busy home life. You may know that my wife and I have a beautiful new little baby girl now and she likes to eat every 3 hours and wants to be held and cuddled all the time. She is only 2 months old. We also have a very curious little boy who will turn 2 in December. He is not as high maintenace, but he has taken on a new name of homewrecker because he destroys any room that he is allowed to have free reign in. The real issue is that free time once devoted to website updating and DVD creating is now spent feeding, changing, and picking up messes. The free time that does exist is devoted to those things very necessary for living like eating, sleeping, and paying the bills. If my wife and I ever get to sit and watch a movie together again, it will be something special.

So on with my idea. The problem I have is that I don't seem to have the time needed to update the Youth Website on a weekly basis like I want to. My idea to solve this problem is to go almost completely to a blogging format using Blogger to host it. Basically events can be posted with pictures and funny stories while they are fresh in my mind. I can also access this from work and update it from there. Work is the only place I have any free time. The blog would allow for comments so that we could get feedback from the kids about things. These comments could also testify to others who visit the page. This would be targeted at the kids themselves not so much parents and other church members. This would work better for them because students to focus more on the present and what is happening right now. If it were updated all of the time, they would be more likely to return to the page to see what has changed. The full blown website is not that flexible and my update time is basically non-existent.

The full website would remain up for general information and a good source for parents and others to visit for more info. I may add a Google Calendar to that which can be updated from work as well. This will keep the events up to speed and people who visit that page. Big updates can be done from time to time, but aside from the calendar, it would not require any kind of daily or weekly maintenance. The Blog would remain the main source of up to the minute happenings.

So there is a download of some things happening in my brain. I may start setting some of this up today if we are not too busy. I already have a lot of them in process, just have to create it and go live. Feel free to leave comments about what you think.

Chris

No comments: