Monday, April 16, 2007

Physical Training

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (New International Version)

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


I have been struggling a lot lately with my weight gain and it has become quite the frustration of mine. It gets so much harder as I get older to burn the calories off. I know what it takes to lose the weight and there are no easy answers. I make excuses all of the time about it, but really excuses are getting me no where. I need to overcome my justifications and just make major changes to my lifestyle.

It helps me when I apply the Bible to my physical health and the verses above remind me what I need to do and encourages me to go after it. For too long, I have allowed my body to enslave me using my appetite. I need to 'beat my body and make it my slave' because my health can really slow down the plans that God has for me. The flesh is temporary, but I must take care of this vessel because it is required to exist in this world. As long as I am a slave to the flesh, I will never be as effective as I could possibly be.

Lord, I pray for your strength and guidance. Please help me to implement the discipline needed in my life no matter how painful I may think it is or how uncomfortable I get. I know that these pains and sufferings pale in comparison to what you have suffered for me. By your grace I get time here on earth to do your work and allowing myself to give in to the flesh shortens that time. This is not my home, but a layover on my way to my true home and I sometimes start to believe that this is all that there is, but this is really nothing at all. Help me Lord where I fall short and become weak. By my strength when I fall and carry me when I cannot walk. Without you I am nothing. Help me to break free of the slavery that I am in. You are the potter, I am the clay. Mold me Lord into something Beautiful.

Amen

No comments: