Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Bad News Bears - 2005

I have been catching up on watching some movies recently using my Netflix. I just haven't had time to go to the theaters that much since the kids were born.

I am a big fan of baseball and I love the original 'Bad News Bears' movies from the late 70's, but this one disappointed me a little bit. I remember watching the original as a kid and there was some trash talk and fighting amongst the kids on the team, but they modernized this one and had to give it a rating of PG-13 for rude behavior, language throughout, some sexuality and thematic elements.

I can't let my kids watch it until they are old enough that they probably will think its a dumb movie anyways. I know that it was a remake for the older generation to enjoy and that is all good, but they really turned a classic movie for kids into something that I would not let them see until they were much older.

I do have to say that casting Billy Bob Thornton as the coach was perfect. He has always been very good at playing complete jerks. I just cannot imagine anyone else taking that role today. It was also very cool how they recreated some scenes from the old version almost identical from the original. The kid in the wheelchair was a funny add as well.

My overall rating is a C mainly because I can't show it to my kids until they are much older.

-c

No comments: